When meeting with a doctor to determine if you suffer from Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN), you should come prepared with questions to ensure that you are receiving accurate and helpful diagnostic advice. Below is a list of questions to consider asking your practitioner during your first appointment:
- How often do you treat patients with Trigeminal Neuralgia or facial pain?
- What steps will you take to confirm my diagnosis?
- Do you encourage patients to keep a facial pain journal to report patterns of pain?
- Will you be available in an emergency or a severe outbreak of pain?
- Do I need diagnostic tests?
- Am I a candidate for surgery?
- Should I seek help from a specialist?
- How will my symptoms improve with treatment?
- What treatments do you recommend?
- How can I help you as your patient?
Do not be afraid to ask questions. Your doctor wants to help you and ensure that you are comfortable during your appointment. At FPA, we offer members and guests information regarding local providers who support facial pain treatment. To help those in need, we have compiled a list of providers by specialty to be sure you find the doctor that is right for you. Please visit the Facial Pain Association website to search for a doctor near you!